Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Return of Gadget Girl! :-)

As some of you may recall, I used to be Gadget Girl, a person so enamored of the latest kitchen gadgets that I had to have them all. Unfortunately, I had conveniently forgotten the second law of physics--that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. When I couldn't open my kitchen drawers because they were stuffed to capacity I had to part with my dear ones and simplify my life. 

But the siren's call of new gadgets soon lured me in again. First, I convinced myself that I had to have a battery-operated hands-free can opener because of my sore thumb. Then I had to have a Spiralizer because it was fun and it made zucchini so much more appealing. One thing led to another and soon I couldn't open my drawers again. Maybe I can start hanging gadgets on the wall, like the tools in the garage. I'll get started on that right away, but first, I'm going to need a new drill! :-)

Check out the original Gadget Girl essay below. For more (cheap) laughs, check out my book: Quirky Essays for Quirky People: The Complete Collection, available on Amazon as an e-book and audio-book, narrated by the wonderful Carrie Lee Martz.

https://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Essays-People-Complete-Collection-ebook/dp/B00KC7BNNY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1493130053&sr=8-11&keywords=barbara+venkataraman

GADGET GIRL            
If the opposite of “hoarder” is a person who despises clutter, knick-knacks, gewgaws and tchotchkes, then I am that person, with one notable exception. Although I worship Minimalism as a philosophy, and also as a house-cleaning technique, I admit I have a weakness: I love gadgets–specifically, kitchen gadgets. I can’t help it. While I can easily ignore the siren call of an infomercial (Seal in flavor! Juice it! Grill away fat!) and I’ve never purchased a Ginsu knife (who wants to cut their sneakers in half?), I just can’t resist a cool gadget. Maybe it’s the way they solve problems I didn’t know I had, but my online dictionary got it right, a gadget really is an “ingenious device.”
            
Let’s start low-tech with the apple slicer. Now, tell me this: who wouldn’t enjoy eating a crisp Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith apple cut into eight perfectly symmetrical slices? Nobody, that’s who. When Eve took a bite of her first apple, she had to be wondering, “Isn’t there an easier way to eat this thing?” She would have appreciated the apple slicer.
 
Of course, if you want to bake your apple, you should put away the slicer and take out your apple corer. Once that pesky core is gone, you can fill your apple with yummy deliciousness like honey, raisins & cinnamon, and then top it off with vanilla ice cream when it's baked. See what you’ve been missing? Luckily, both of these gadgets are inexpensive and fit neatly in your kitchen drawer.

Things start to get tricky if you’re a garlic-lover, and honestly, who isn’t? The first gadget you’ll need is a garlic keeper so your garlic stays fresh as a daisy, er, just fresh. Next up, you’ll want to buy a garlic roaster because-- what’s the point of eating fresh-baked, crusty bread if there’s no roasted garlic to spread on it? You’ll need only a few more gadgets to complete your set: a garlic peeler, a garlic press, a garlic slicer, a garlic dicer and a magic soap bar made of stainless steel to take away the garlic smell. Personally, I enjoy the smell of garlic. I’d like to create a garlic perfume called “Delicioso.” A light spritz would make you smell like a world-class chef and, in the event of a culinary crisis, you could also spray it on your food. All of these gadgets are essential, but don’t worry, they won’t take up much space, only half of a kitchen drawer.

Since you still have some room in the drawer, you should consider adding these beauties: a tomato stem remover, a corn stripper, a lemon zester, a grapefruit segmenter, an herb snipper with a stem stripper, an avocado slicer, a strawberry huller, a cherry pitter, an olive stuffer, a ravioli stamper, a calzone mold, and my absolute favorite, an egg-cuber, so you can make square hard-boiled eggs that won’t roll off your plate. Genius!

Now that your drawer is full, let’s talk about the fun stuff. You can’t live without a Popsicle maker if you have kids--that’s a fact–and you just can’t beat the smell of fresh bread wafting from your automatic bread maker.  If you pour the ingredients in at night and set the timer, you’ll be dreaming you live in a bakery as you bake fresh bread in your sleep. If you’re health-conscious, then an electric yogurt-maker is perfect for you, and you can always beat the summer heat with your electric ice-cream maker. Think of the exotic flavors you could invent, like bourbon with cornflakes, or candied bacon--you can’t find those in the store! And how about those fancy Paninis you can make with your Panini Press?

But we aren’t done yet! Just think how much you’ll enjoy the gentle gurgle of seltzer water flowing from your Sodastream and the Belgian waffles you made in your waffle iron, not to mention the fries you fried in your Fry Daddy, the coffee you ground with your coffee grinder, the noodles spiraling out of your pasta maker and the perfectly prepped lettuce leaves shooting out of your salad spinner. When you’re done with all that, you can bathe in your chocolate fountain. Isn't life good?
 
You may be wondering where to put all of these amazing gadgets. It’s simple really, just get rid of your knick-knacks, gewgaws and tchotchkes, and any other useless clutter, like dishes, pots & pans, and all the food in your pantry, and you’ll have plenty of room for all this neat stuff. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment